Sunday, October 26, 2008

It's cool like that!

For the last few days, I have been playing with Ruby and Groovy. I have to say it very exciting to play with these technologies. Like typical Java applications once you figure out how to configure the application, the development of these applications is very straightforward. I don't have have worry about compiling the files, generating a Web Application Archive (WAR), and deploying the WAR file on the servlet container. Ruby and Groovy for most part take care of this issue. From a software architecture perspective, these two technologies promote software best practices by having built in capabilities to design pattern.

The core philosophy is that it saves time by simply customizing a baselined web application rather than build each class, jsp and configuration file. I was amazed when I built a simple prototype in Ruby and Groovy. It is also takes less time to learn the technology because folks learn alot more when they plan with the code rather than reading a O'reilly book or a Recipe book. It's exciting!

The downsize is that it takes alot more time to understand how the code actually works since the inner working have been abstracted out. I also notice that I would use a standardized approach in naming methods, pages, and classes.

To increase my learning, I have been doing Groovy on JetBrains IntelliJ. It's great and it's better than eclipse. Enjoy!

No comments: